Monday, October 4, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Week One

For week one I decided to use a recipe from Rachel Ray for Calzone Rolls. It seemed it would be quick and easy so why not.

I decided to bring out my own inner chef (um, right) and make a few tweaks. One of them being removing the salami as it is a Meatless Monday, duh. The next genius move I made was to trade out Kaiser rolls for French Hamburger Buns. Apparently those have nice little holes in the bottom when then are cut in half. I picked out some bread from the top and covered the hole so everything wouldn't spill out.

I then sautéed a chopped onion and half a bag of spinach and mixed them with about 5 leaves of chopped basil, a quarter cup of shredded mozzarella and about 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan with a small container of ricotta cheese. I spooned all of that mixture into the bottom of 4 rolls and placed a slice of tomato and some additional shredded mozzarella on top. Never did I think about putting salt and pepper into the mixture but I def should have, apparently ricotta does not have a very strong flavor as I thought it would.

I put the rolls into a casserole dish and baked them for about 20 minutes until the cheese on top was melted and served them with some spaghetti sauce.

Not my best showing and I'm not really sure I will every be attempting these again. Here is a picture from Rachel's site, I forgot to take a picture of mine (another fail) although mine were much more colorful and looked as though they would have an amazing taste to them. Never judge a book by its cover right!

No comments:

Post a Comment