Friday, October 7, 2011

Fast & Easy

Each year our HOA has an annual meeting to discuss everything from the previous year, express concerns & vote in the Advisory Board for the next year. This year Tim's yearly colonoscopy (it was clean!) landed on the same day which allowed for me to be home taking care of him most of the day. He was back to his normal self by dinnertime which was also the same time as the meeting. I thought it would be nice to go a little early & take dinner with us, a little picnic if you will. I ran a little short on time so I don't have pictures of the final food but you can use your imagination right? :)


First up was Broccoli Salad, one of my favorites! First I mixed a cup of mayonnaise, 5 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar & a tablespoon of sugar.




I then added in some cooked bacon (about 1/2 a cup but you can add as little/much as you want) along with some finely shredded cheddar (again, about 1/2 a cup but you can add as little/much as you want).

 

 Next up I chopped a head of broccoli & half of a purple onion to add in.


Everything was stirred together & placed in the fridge for a minimum of an hour.



Next up, Ham Delights. I found these poppy seed rolls at Trader Joe's & thought they would be perfect (although traditionally I've always made them with Hawaiian Sweet Rolls).


I mixed up 1/2 a cup of butter with a few tablespoons of mustard (to taste), some Worchestershire (to taste) and about a tablespoon and a half of poppy seeds.


I then spread the mixture onto both sides of the cut rolls.



Piled on the ham & cheese (whatever kinds you like) & baked in a 350 oven for about 10-15 minutes. Basically until the cheese melts & the mixture on the buns does too.


Finally I made some homemade Fresca. This was incredibly easy & I have no idea where I got the idea. First I zested an orange, a lemon & a lime.




Next I boiled one cup of sugar into one cup of water in order to make a simple syrup. I added the zests after all of the sugar had dissolved.



Finally I took the zested fruit, added in another orange & lemon & juiced all into the cooled simple syrup. Finally added in some ice & Ginger Ale & it was good to go!


At this point we were no longer going to be early so I threw everything into a bag & we rushed to the meeting but got to enjoy our fantastic supper during it!

No comments:

Post a Comment