Tuesday, August 9, 2011

In a Pickle

I love some pickled red onions and with some pork tacos I planned on making for dinner on Tuesday I thought these could be a fantastic topper!

First I used my OXO handheld mandolin to slice 2 red onions very thinly.






Once all were sliced I then separated the rings out.


I boiled a pot of water & quickly blanched the onions moving them into an ice bath to stop them from cooking any further after.

 

Next, in a pot I added in 1 1/2 cups of White Vinegar with 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 slices of fresh ginger, 5 whole cloves, 1 bay leaf, a cinnamon stick and a dash of red pepper flakes.


While it was starting to heat up I drained the ice bath from the onions and let the water drip out from them.


Once the mixture came up to a full boil I let it go for about a minute.


After the minute was up I turned the burner down & let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.





Once the 5 minutes was up, I went ahead and added it all into a plastic bowl (don't use metal, it can end up making everything taste funny, something to do with reacting to the vinegar) and placed it in the fridge where it should keep for about a few weeks!


Here are the results, crunchy, tart & delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment